Saturday, February 12, 2011

Strange Blood Sugar Issues


So I first had my blood sugar problems back when I was still in Budapest, Hungary. I was at a mall in the city with mom, dad and Micah.  I hadn't had breakfast that morning and I basically fainted and collapsed right on the floor in the middle of the mall.  This was close to the time where we were moving back to the states so my mom decided to wait until we got back to see if I had Diabetes or Hypoglycemic.  As most of you know, it was the low blood sugar.  From that point on, I began eating smaller meals throughout the days to help keep me from falling victim to another attack.  I haven't done that so much now, but still try to eat something small most days like an apple, or some type of fruit.

For the last few years, however, my blood sugar issues have hardly been a problem at all as I've become more in control of it and my body has adapted. But yesterday I had a symptom that I remember having back when my hypoglycemia was the worst.  I woke up Friday morning and was ready to head work when I blacked out.  I didn't actually faint, but I couldn't see anything for about 10 seconds...nothing but black.  I gave my boss a call and told him the situation and I stayed home.

Later, about 3:00 PM, after staying in bed pretty much all day, I decided to try and go somewhere just to see how my body would do.  I did just fine.  I even went to the mall to get a haircut.  The weird thing is, when I had blacked out earlier, I didn't actually feel as if I was going to faint.  I do remember feeling like I was being pulled down to the ground, just like I did when I first fainted in Budapest, but never did I feel sick or weak.  Many rationale has run through my head as to what might have occurred, but I've come to the conclusion that I should just monitor myself for a little bit and see what happens.

I don't think it's anything serious as this seems to have just been a freak thing, but I also shouldn't take it lightly.  My blood sugar issues have always been a mystery to me.  But the doctor told me way back that when I get older, even though my blood sugar issues will have gotten a lot easier to deal with and subside, he also stated that I should still be careful as random symptoms might jump back and get me when I least expect it.  I suspect that this is one of those instances.

So, with all this being said, I think i'm going to go have a salad for lunch.  I think I might try just eating something green and nothing else at least once a day.  No sodas, no desert, nothing that's considered a comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment