Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Good Literature

So I was asking myself this morning as a stumbled out of bed and onto my mountains of clothing which I have yet to put away since doing my laundry a week ago, Why do I enjoy Science fiction/fantasy literature. what is it about that genre that captivates me, that thrills me, that makes my blood pump vivaciously? (no rhyme intended he he!) I tried reading other literature genres and non excites me more than sci-fi/fantasy.

My favorite author right now is a tie between Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. My favorite Book (graphic Novel) is Watchmen by Moore, my second favorite more recently is American Gods by Gaiman. My favorite film is tied between the Dark Knight and V for vendetta. My favorite comic book title is green lantern right now, (although it changes a lot....from week to week mainly.) i find myself arguing with some people about vampires super hero's a lot, like it's the most important thing to discuss with people!

But not only that, I prefer reading stories where people are tortured, heartbroken, diseised, mutilated, gorged, yelled at, pummeled, battered, torn, ridiculed, twisted, skinned, raped, murdered, violated, and just plain rude than any other type of literature. I like the dark twisted stories, where the end is not the end you want or not the ending that makes you feel all "happy dappy" inside. Stories that go against the norm, or whats popular, or what people believe is the "right" thing to do.

Then i asked myself...Why do I like this? why do I enjoy a story where the truth about mankind is revealed as a desolate and twisted way of life? I thought about it, and I decided because it was how I was raised. And I mean that in the bets possible way!

I would hear from people so often things like "TV will influence your kids to become drug dealors" or "this stuff will twist your son an daughters mind in the worst way" or "If they read (or watch) this, I fear for how you will grow up." many people in my life have question what I value and enjoy.

"Jimmy, this book looks really wierd. why don't you read something a little more pleasant?" told to me by an adult in protest of me reading a batman comic book. "
"A four hundred and eighty paged comic book? that ridiculous Jimmy! I do not approve!" By an adult who was protesting against a graphic novel titled The return of Superman.

growing up, I was always taught that reading books, watching movies or tv shows, or being involved with certain things that were typically viewed as a bad thing would be awful for me to experience. Those things would twist my mind, cause me to lead a terrible, unfullfilling life where I would become a member of a gang, or a pimp or drug dealer where I would end up in jail and go in and out of jail continuously my whole life. Or, since comic books have some of the most beutiful people in the world in the most revealing outfits in the world, that I would become a sex addict and cheat on my wife because of it. that and more!!

but look at me now? Im out on my own, working a great job, (took a little bit to get a good that I lied of course) and im married to a woman who supports me and loves me, and I live life to it's fullest.......And I have never stopped reading and watching the things I did when i was younger. And it makes me wonder, why are we scared to allow our children to experience that which we are not familiar with? why do our parents believe that just because a story or a film is about something twisted or weird, that they shouldn't watch it or read it? my mom read so many vampire novels an still does to this day! Her mother didn't really approve of what my mom read and watched, but she did it anyway. Now my mom is one of the most loved professors at her school! She's a well rounded person, who loves and cares for so many people. Same with so many people I know!

I turned out fine, and the literature, films and stories introduced to me by my parents is something I'll cherish for my entirely life. And I will never regret the things that they exposed me to. The type of literature, films, places in the world, etc etc etc, helped shape me to the person I am now! And they raised me with an open heart and mind. thanks mom and dad!

I turned out fine, and the literature, films and stories introduced to me by my parents is something I'll cherish for my entirely life. And I will never regret the things that they exposed me to. The type of literature, films, places in the world, etc etc etc, helped shape me to the person I am now! And they raised me with an open heart and mind. thanks mom and dad!

based on the evidence that here that shows me all of our parents fears of how their children will turn out because of all these things that they fear, Im convinced that it isn't necessarily the stories we are exposed to that shape how we turn out....It's how we comprehend those stories. My parents did a great job at exposing me to all types of dark and twisted stories, but they knew how to explain the meaning of those stories. If we understand the stories, we can accept them for what they are....just stories. Of course they can influence us and do desensitize some aspects of life, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be a bad influence. We must allow our children to experience the new, the different so they may learn about who they are and what they should become and what they should do with their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment