Monday, January 31, 2011

Back From Vegas...52Eighty De-Crowned

And all seven of the returning 52Eighty members new this would happen.  We were just there to have fun and sing.  (That and get a free trip to Vegas!)  And it was fun!  I got to see many old friends from the Central States District including Tim Waurick and Eric Dalbey of Vocal Spectrum, the Jurassic Larks, and many of my old singing buddies from the Sioux City and Des Moines choruses.

There were only a few choruses out of the 19 that competed that have been competing for at least years years.  Those choruses were recognized with a trophy, and 52Eighty was one of these choruses.  Below is a photo pf that trophy...
Doesn't it look like we won an ice skating competition for elementary schoolers?  It does to me. It was a gesture made by the Tri-Star Chorus, which was very thoughtful, but very silly at the same time.  This trophy still sits in my kitchen table with no real home.  maybe I should give it to Sound of the Rockies?!?

The winners of the contest was the Northwest Vocal Project Chorus which won the contest back in 2009. The scores are posted here.  While I'm super glad that NVP won, I'm still very happy that they didn't beat 52Eighty's score from last year in Tampa; they were close, but we still have the highest score!  I have to be honest however, if 52Eighty from last year had competed against Northwest Vocal Project this year, I think NVP would have beat us.  Northwest Vocal Project was exceptionally clean and accurate and without a doubt deserved the win.

This was a great convention and I'm glad I was able to go again.  As far as 52Eighty's future, I hope we go again so I can compete one last time on the youth chorus stage.  It will be my last year to compete as a "youth" since I'll be 30 so I'm going to milk it for all it's worth.  If Darin Drown decides not to keep it going, then I'll try to make something happen!  Until then, I'll prepare for contest in Kansas City this summer with Sound of the Rockies.

No comments:

Post a Comment