Thursday, January 6, 2011

Round And Round We Go

For those of you who know me, I'm all about pushing buttons.  I like to make my Facebook status updates very "edgy," pushing the boundaries of people's emotions...and I think I've always been that way.  But one thing I try so very hard to do is not go too far.  And when my "fun" becomes to much, I typically do what I can to apologize to those I may have offended or angered.  it's never my intention to make someone mad, I simply like to have meaningful conversations with others about our differences in opinion.

Recently I posted a video of a banned Mormon cartoon on my Facebook wall.  It's attempt is to educate those outside the Mormon faith of the "evils" or "misguided" mindset of the Mormon belief.  But in doing so, I offended two people, one a fellow Barbershopper, and the other a coworker who were appalled at the fact that I posted such a poor education video, both of whom are Mormon.  If you care to watch it, click below.  Keep in mind, the animation is very bad and the narration is SUPER boring...

For everyone reading this, please be clear...This cartoon is almost completely false and doesn't represent the Mormon faith in the least.  But I'm sure an educated individual will be able to see this right away.  But due to my two friend's very adamant and vocal disapproval, I took the video down.  It was upsetting them enough that I didn't want to further their frustration for the sake of making fun of the video.

But how many times do you see people on Facebook getting into argument threads?  It's a fairly consistent characteristic of Facebook dialog of which I'm a culprit of as well.  But I've always considered myself someone who doesn't throw others argument out the window simply because I disagree with them.  I try to remain as civil as I can when in a disagreement with someone over Facebook or in person.  But most of the Facebook population who thrives on drama through Facebook threads tend to revert to name calling or unintelligible remarks that lend nothing to the conversation...except to make them feel like they've accomplished something.

Recently, the chorus I sing with had a major splitting of membership, mainly with the younger crowd of 20 - 28 year olds.  Some changes have been made in Sound of the Rockies and a lot of these young men left for those reasons, forming a new chorus.  They will all tell you that's not the case, but from the conversations I've had with the head honcho's in charge of the new chorus I feel there's a lot of negativity that went into forming this chorus.  The first few meetings this "new chorus" had involved mostly dialog and conversation...and after all that was done, bad mouthing began.  Many of the guys decided that it would be beneficial to constantly say what they don't like about SOR and talk shit about certain individuals as well.

In response to the question "what would you like to see happen in this new chorus?" I stated that I would like to start seeing everyone stop bad mouthing everyone in SOR and become a mature chorus.  This, of course didn't stick for very long and I still hear the same things from the same people when conversations star Darin Drown, Mike Davidson, Chris Vaughn, etc. Everyone in this new chorus just don't have it in them to move on with their lives.  I'm not trying to say you can't be bitter for things that may or may not have gone wrong from  your perspective, but bad mouthing others really isn't beneficial for anyone.

We are a society of people that are willing to talk about people behind their backs, or talk immaturely to them as long as we don't have to be in the presence.  This is one of the downfalls of social networking; people feel like they are justified in calling people names, belittling their past and life choices as long as it's done through Facebook.  Let's call people an Idiot, a feeble minded human being, stupid, sheepish, etc etc...as long as we don't do it right to their face.  It's even worse because it's happening between two people who've never met before more and more often.

Maybe I should just leave it alone when these kinds of things happen.  It's really hard to do that however, especially when I some how get caught in the middle of it all. What do you guys think about this?  Does it bother you?  Does it make you angry or do you enjoy this type of mentality?  I would very much like to hear opinions.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, pushing boundaries gets old. I love to spar and all that but people can be ignorant, close minded and lalala - so I sometimes keep my mouth shut. SOMETIMES. But on FB? Really? I mean half the folks on there aren't FRIENDS but merely folks you know. And if you don't KNOW them, why try to rile them up and risk offending them. I KNOW I have a big mouth and I BET you are like Clarissa and HATE the Jesus answer, but really, sometimes you have to live above the board. This is stemming from your video on your other blog. You warned readers to only read if you aren't easily offended...and I'm not, but thanks to the what 20 seconds I watched of the TASTELESS blow job video comic you had up, my 1.5 year old was dropping the F-Bomb ALL DAY, until she forgot. Why exactly did you put that up? To get a rise out of people? To educate people about bad comics? I mean really? Is that just your sense of humour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's more the world I live in within the Comic Book genre. And within that world exists the creation of the Motion Comic, which has an enormous amount of artistry that goes into it. I posted it because it's the best motion comic that has been produced, as far as how much work and time it took to make it, and I want to spread the word about it. jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner contribute SOOO much to the comic book world and this was just another addition to their massive resume.
    And it wasn't really a Blow Job motion Comic, but it was very tasteless...which was the point of the whole video. Many pieces of the graphic novel were taken out, so much of the point of the story was lost, so I can see how someone would take it as meaningless. But it really isn't for everyone. My comic book blog has a rating on it, which fluxuates between PG-13 and R, because that's a good chunk of what comics contain within them. But, as my mother once told granny in reference to Playboy magazine..."Just because it's obscene, doesn't mean there isn't literary value within it."

    ReplyDelete